Former funeral director sentenced after pleading guilty to preventing the lawful burial of a dead body
A former funeral director in Cornwall has been sentenced to 15 months in prison, suspended for two years after pleading guilty to preventing the lawful and decent burial of a dead body.
He will also have to carry out community work and undergo mental health treatment.
Jack Weekes, 32, of St Johns Road, Millbrook, had pleaded guilty to a charge of preventing the lawful and decent burial of a dead body between 16 October and 4 December 2023 at Millbrook, Cornwall.
He also faced a charge of fraud by false representation, but no evidence was offered, and it was not proceeded with.
The court heard that the charges related to the remains of a woman in her 80s, who had been due to be cremated at the Glyn Valley Crematorium on 16 October 2023, for which Weekes had taken payment as the proprietor of J Weekes Funeral Directors.
On the day before the cremation was due to take place, a problem was found with the paperwork, so it did not take place, but the memorial service did, with the plan being for the cremation to be conducted once all the documentation was in order. This was not an uncommon situation.
However, when the crematorium was contacted by the Liskeard Registrar to say no notification of cremation had been received for the deceased, Weekes was contacted and told them the cremation had taken place at Weston Mill Crematorium in Plymouth.
Further enquiries found that the cremation had not taken place and the body had been retained at the premises in Millbrook until 1 December, around six-and-a-half weeks. At this time the body was removed, and the cremation was carried out.
Jack Weekes appeared at Truro Crown Court on Tuesday 13 January and was sentenced to 15 months in prison, suspended for two years. He will also have to carry out 300 hours of community work over the next 12 months and undergo mental health treatment. He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £187.
Judge James Adkin warned Weekes that if he breaches the sentence, he will be sent to prison and there would be ‘no second chance’.
Detective Inspector Peter Gee, who led the investigation, said: “Having been made aware of concerns raised in March 2024, regarding the management of remains at a funeral director in Millbrook, an investigation was launched to determine whether any offences had been committed and to also provide reassurance to those affected.
“We can confirm that offences committed, contrary to common law, related to one person and that all other remains at the premises were managed lawfully.
“Preventing a lawful burial is a profound breach of dignity.
“Our investigation has hopefully brought some support to the family affected by this.”
If you have been affected by crime, please visit victimcare-dc.org to access support services and information on your rights and how to navigate the criminal justice system. You can also call Victim Support on 08 08 16 89 111 or Devon and Cornwall Police’s Victim Care Unit on 01392 475900.
